Sunday, March 10, 2013

Going Bald: My Sister's Fight Against Cancer

Its been weeks since my last blog update and now I am back with a handful of stories to tell. Ironically, my last blog post was about what I wore when I joined a gameshow and now life decided to throw us a curve ball by giving my 12-year-old sister Stage 3 Cancer.




Too make the long story short, my sister is now going through chemotherapy to beat Lymphoma. It was an emotionally draining experience for all of us but at the end of the day we just have to face this reality with a positive attitude. I remember when we were informed that this procedure is necessary and that hair loss is an inevitable side effect, I immediately looked for another way on how we can  look at this situation with positive light for my sister. Remember, a cancer patient must have a positive outlook in order to beat the disease.


My sister when she finally got home from the hospital.


The first idea that popped into my head was the idea that beautiful women do not need to hide behind their hair. Considering that I just watched Les Mis, I cant help but use Anne Hathaway as a perfect example.




Several celebrities also looked gorgeous even when they are bald like Natalie Portman when she did V for Vendetta.




Kylie Minogue also went bald when she fought breast cancer in 2005.




America's Next Top Model Cycle 6 did a photoshoot where they asked the models wannabe to wear skull caps to appear bald while they are adorned with Swarovski crystals.




After finally building a solid argument about being bald as a good thing, my sister became so excited that she wantedus to take a picture of her right after we shaved her head.




I also styled her look to match her mood that day.





Another good the idea is the fact that my sister can now have more fun with wigs just like Samantha Jones in Sex and the City.




Remember when Samantha dressed up as Lil Kim at Smith Jerrod's premiere?




But the most inspiring thing Samantha did was when she removed her wig after doing her "perspirational" speech which garnered cheers from the crowd.




So now my sister can either rock being bald or she can dress up like anything she wants.She can still be whoever she wants to be.




Like one minute she can be Strawberry Shortcake or...




Nicki Minaj on the next, whichever works for her.

Ultimately, we are now doing our best to keep things as positive as possible in our household. Though I stopped going to fashion school for a while, I know that I can still do what I love to do when the time is right. The point for now is to help my sister regain her self confidence and positive outlook through the help of fashion.

"Fashion is not all about those expensive couture on the runway or famous designers or supermodels.
It is also a means to make people feel good about themselves while looking good in the process.
Therefore, fashion makes life a little better."
- JV    




2 comments:

  1. I love the positive ENERGY of this blog. Inspiring and uplifting... I will always include your sister in my prayers kuya jv! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you know how important life is, YOU FIGHT for every chance to keep on going. So there. As you all know I am pro-life despite my shady past. Because there is a need to remind ourselves that life is a present from the Lord (this sounds so not like me butyeahwatevs) so we need to FIERCELY want to LIVE so we can all get a life

    ReplyDelete