Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Philippine Fashion Week Spring Summer 2013: Burdang Taal and My Top 5 Picks

As a fashion design student, I have to attend at least one show at Philippine Fashion Week. Even if I got several invites, I decided to attend only one show because I'm too busy at school and I don't want to watch alone.


What I wore
Top: The Vintage in My Closet, Leggings: Debenhams
Shoes: Schutz, Bag: Kultura Filipino, Necklace: Gift Market


I chose the Burdang Taal show because I feel that it was meant for me. After all, I am all about advocating the Philippine culture through fashion and I would love to create clothes using Philippine fibers. So what show can serve me this purpose better than the Burdang Taal show.

As I got seated on the 2nd row, I just have to snap a photo of my view.


The very fashionable people of Preview


While waiting for the show to start, I remember one google image of an embroidered hibiscus design. Now I am so excited for the show to start!




The show started with Batangas Vice Governor Mark Leviste giving the crowd a brief background of the show's advocacy.




Right after his speech, Batangas Governor Vilma Santos gave her two cents about their goal of promoting Taal's embroidery.




In both messages, I learned that it was Valentino's Spring Summer RTW 2012 collection that gave them the confidence to pursue their advocacy in promoting Taal's dying embroidery industry. They said that after a fashion giant chose to highlight this dying art on a global scale, now more than ever, we should embrace and revive this technique once again to fully showcase our culture through fashion.



  

  

  


The show started with Bergamo's collection with a well loved filipino song "Mamang Sorbetero." From that moment on, I knew that I will love this show.


The first look of the night


Among other things, one defining moment for me was when Fanny Serrano's collection graced the runway. I almost cried out of sheer joy. It was the show itself, plus the wonderful runway music, plus a beautiful collection. I can only bear so much beauty without showing any emotions.






After the show, my peers told me that I watched the show like a little girl looking through a candy store with stars on her eyes. I wouldn't deny that I loved the show and it's advocacy, as well as the cornucopia of inspirations that hit me all at the same time.




Right after the models and designer walked the runway. I wanted to have my photo taken on the runway too.





After having enough time to process the images that I witnessed, I now present to you my top 5 picks from the Burdang Taal Fashion Show.

5. Jontie Martinez





4. JC Buendia





3. Richard Papa





2. Oskar Peralta






and of course! My no. 1 is none other than...
1. Fanny Serrano






I hope your enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed creating this post!

Au revoir for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment